BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, August 9, 2010

Truth or Dare Anyone!

Remember playing this game in middle school, maybe late elementary school, where someone says 'truth or dare' and everyone in the room gets the "uh-oh look" - well except the boys. So you and your friends would get together and someone would start with "truth or dare...Theresa" (I'll use my name since I'm writing-I figure its only fair). And inevitably, the first one was always truth, no one - again except the boys- wanted to accept the dare, truth seemed so much easier. So around the room you'd go, kind of like duck duck goose now that I think of it - truth truth DARE- finding out something about your friends that you never knew and then finding out that someone would do something so outrageously stupid you knew they would never do....like Josh kissing Megan, or something crazy like that; and no matter how much embarrassment went on, it seemed like when you were together with a group of friends sooner or later truth or dare showed up too.
At almost 40 now (wow and yikes!) and in looking back at my adult life, its been a truth or dare game the whole way. At some point in my everyday life, I've had to play this teenage game, whether it is in my work or family life. And if you look closely at your life, you've been playing too. On a truth, I was fired from a job and on a dare I went to college late in life. On a dare, I sent my resume out hoping for someone to throw me a truth to get an interview. On a dare, I went out with a young man not knowing that I was going to be his wife. On a dare, we had and raised 3 children (if you don't think raising children is a dare-just wait). On a truth, I am a confident to my teenagers. On a dare, I try not to show the "OMG" on my face when they tell me stuff. On a dare, we took in a teenager girl, and on a truth our son convinced her that we are trustworth. On a dare, I am told stuff daily as a secret and on a truth I keep those close to my heart and hidden.

My spiritual life is truth or dare too (and so is yours). On a dare, I was asked to believe in something that I couldn't (and still can't see) and on a truth I was asked to have faith. On a dare, we were asked to accept something that was unbelievable, on a dare we are being asked to continue living, and on a truth we hope we are standing. The reason for this truth and dare game? I don't know, I am struggling with my spiritual truth and dare game. Trying to hold onto a belief it took 36 years for me to grasp onto. Wondering if its real this thing we call faith, wondering if God is real, and altho I 'know', sometimes I don't feel like a truth is being played right. About 3 weeks ago, I heard a song "Before the Morning?" The words are exactly the game of truth or dare... Truth of the song "Do you wonder why you have to feel the things that hurt you if there's a God who loves you where is He know?" Dare of the song " Would you dare, would you dare to believe that you have a reason to sing." Would you dare? I don't feel like playing truth or dare anymore. I don't feel like I have a truth to rely on - I know that there's a truth somewhere or at least I hope there is - because I need to live a truth and not a dare. So how do I find this to live on? How do I stop playing truth or dare and just play truth? 1 Peter 2:19-20 says "For it is commendable if a man bears up under the pain of unjust suffering because he is conscious of God....But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God." A couple of days ago, I found a promise - something that would cover my wondering if God was forgetting me or not. Maybe I found a truth this morning, unconsciously I was playing truth or dare, and got a truth.
So are you playing truth or dare? I am daily playing truth or dare, in my life life and my spiritual life, truth or dare is continuing. Would I dare to believe that in this suffering there is a truth that is coming? I'm trying to believe, and maybe I'm trying to hard, maybe this truth or dare game isn't suppose to be this hard. Maybe the dare that I'm in, like in 1Peter, is more commendable to God than I think? Maybe your dare is too.

0 comments: