BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Praise Through the Storm

"I'll praise You in this storm and I will raise my hands. For You are who You are no matter where I am. And every tear I cry, You hold in Your hands. You've never left my side - although my heart is torn. I will praise You in this storm." (Casting Crowns)
I have lived in many places in America from Northern Michigan to Western Oregon, and it seems that no matter where I go, there are storms. When I was little the storms in Wyoming didn't scare me until we had to evacuate our home due to a tornado on the outskirts of Casper. That's when I started to realize that storms were dangerous, that you could lose your home, security, life, and there was nothing that could be done about it. No warning, no preparation, nothing.
I've always had a hard core and outer shell. I could take and go thru anything no matter what I could be strong. I wasn't afraid of the pending storms that may be in the horizion I would buckle down and press thru, albeit on my own accord - something that I have been worked on by God, turning over the problems and storms over to Him. Almost three weeks ago, Lee and I lost our son, Kaleb, to injuries in a car accident along with his best friend, Thad. It feels like parts of my heart are gone and I just don't know where to find it. As soon as we get a good day, it turns to a bad night. The storms are much closer to us then on the horizion, they are in our house. They flare and wither and come and go; running from them is impossible (trust me we've tried).
The song Praise You in this Storm, by Casting Crowns, has been a song I have loved and used for praise foundation for me. The words of this song worked me thru my father's illness and death, my older brother's sever illness and continuing injuries, and last week I turned to it once again. I have been lacking in time with God, except to talk to Him in the bathroom or on the way to work or over the boys' graves. Does that count? I'm not sure but I'm counting it.
I don't know how to praise in a storm like this, and I don't know when to praise in a storm like this, but in James 3:15 - someone says - "is any one of you is in trouble? He should pray, is any one happy? He should sing songs of praise." "In trouble", the storm of life is stirring in our house and lives, its wind is building and trouble is on the horizion. I think I'm in trouble. "He should pray", my time talking to God even tho not in prayer typical form, is my praying. He hears all things, He knows all hurts, and He alone is my comforter."Happy" I am far from happy, far from getting thru this storm that seems to not want to ebb, so how do I see 'happy'. I know without a doubt that our sons are safe, they are closely being held but Jesus, even tho we are in pain - I know they are waiting for us. "Sing songs of praise", the song above is on my cell phone as my ringtone. I did that so everytime someone calls me I would remember that this is just a storm and God is going to provide a way out and I can let Him lead the way (if I just would). I also set this song for Thad's mom to hear when she calls me (which is a lot), we don't talk about our faith right now but I want her to remember that I love her and God loves her too.
I'll praise You in this storm...hard as it may be, I remember everytime that I hear those words that God is taking care of getting us (me) thru the storm. What storm are you going thru? I don't pretend to know or want to know what others are going thru, but I can tell you that anything you are going thru is just a storm and not a life. How you get thru it will depend on how much you allow God to guide you. So what are you doing with your storm?

0 comments: