BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, February 1, 2013

You Can Look But You Can't Touch

If you had an upbringing like mine the phrase "you can look but you can't touch" meant that you were somewhere you could do nothing but put your hands behind your back or in your pockets and stare endlessly at the shiny things on the shelves. It also meant that no matter how much you asked your mom or dad for something that answer was going to be 'no'. The pleading and grumblings of your heart's desire was going to fall on deaf ears, and if you continued it usually meant that you were going to get something else - no not what you wanted! I remember thinking as a teen that I would never, ever use certain phrases with my children...Like "because I said so", "because I'm mom that's why", or just "because", but one that I remember using over and over again is "you can look but you can't touch". It's funny how a cycle comes about in an adult life that we are determined not to do and yet there it is, our parents incarnate coming out of our mouths!

I wonder sometimes what would have happened if I had parents that said yes to every one of my whims? What would it be like to get absolutely everything that I wanted, pleaded or begged for? What would it be like to have been raised without rules like "don't touch that!"? Wouldn't that just be wonderful! Come on think about it....Everything you wanted as a child, which lets face facts, that was absolutely everything we saw, every minute of the day, whether in a store, on TV or something of a friends. Everything! Wouldn't that be the coolest thing in the world? To be able to live carelessly and see everything and go everywhere and get anything! Wow! What a fantasy world! But what then would there be to offer my children? If I had and got and did everything, would I be willing to do the same for my children? Probably not. I mean lets face facts, if I had already done and gotten everything, why would I encourage my children to do anything? I probably wouldn't be enthusiastic about a new thing for them because I would have already accomplished that goal...sort of a 'been there done that" attitude.

Moses had a similar thing happen to him, he was told that he could look but not touch. He was hand picked as a child by God to free the Isrealites from Egypt, hand picked to bring plagues to Pharaoh's people, to lead the people God put in him charge of to a place that was talked about for hundreds and hundreds of years, the Promise Land! He was destined to lead tens of thousands of God's chosen children for 11 days, across the Red Sea, through the desert and the Jordan to the Promise Land! Oh what a delight. And then within a few days, that joy was destroyed, taken away. Moses, like those who cried about entering the land across the Jordan, was told he would never see the Promised Land, he would never cross the Jordan. Moses even pleaded for 40 years with God to forgive him, he pleaded, not the way you and I would, but pleaded all the same. Deut 2:23-28 "At that time I begged God, 'God, my Master, you let me in on the beginnings, you let me see your greatness, you let me see your might - what god in Heave or Earth can do anything like what you've done! Please let me also in on the endings, let me cross the river and see the good land over the Jordan, the lush hills, the Lebanon mountains.  But God was still angry with me because of you. He wouldn't listen.  He said, 'Enough of that! Not another word from you on this! Climb to the top of Mount Pisgah and look around: look east, west, north, and south. Take the land in with your own eyes.  Take a good look because you are not going to cross the Jordan. Then command Joshua. Give him courage, Give him strength. Single-handed he will lead this people across the river. Single-handed he will cause them  to inherit the land at which you can only look." Well if that's not a kick in the butt! Not only could he only look and not touch, he had to tell Joshua that he was going to get it and Moses was going to give him all the details on how to get it! That's like a kick in the head isn't it!?  That's like standing in the checkout line at the store and there in front of you and your sister is all the candy you can't have and all of a sudden your mom says "honey you can't have any because you're in trouble but you can help you sister pick you her piece of candy but you can only tell her you can't touch or point to the candy." That sucks! Don't you agree? If you don't than you and I have to have a serious discussion. Don't you feel bad for Moses? (Heck don't you feel bad for yourself having to pick out the piece of candy for your sister?!) I mean really this the same situation, the same terms, Moses was in trooouuuuble! I mean some big time bad trouble. He spent 40 years in the desert trying to get God to let him cross the Jordan and all he got to do was destroy two kings on the west side of the Jordan and then look at what he would never set foot on. Makes me kind of mad how about you?!

So now that I got a chance to rant, and I got you on my side about the whole thing....I wonder what the point of this is, what in the world is really being said here? And while I'm writing, I'm talking to a friend in a text, and out of nowhere it hits me. Smack! (yes just like that) And I wonder what it is that I am going to be encouraging someone to do that I will never get to do, that I will never be able to take part in? What is it that I get to see a glimpse of, travel the road toward, and never get to touch? And I realize that I am doing it everyday with my girls.  Everyday, I get to see Sydney go to school and excel at things that I never could have begun to do at her age, I get to see her pick up an instrument, pretty much any instrument, and learn to play it in a matter of weeks. I get to hear her try to teach someone how to read  music, I couldn't even begin to read music. Everyday, I get the opportunity to hear about Jennifer's life at college, I get to encourage her to persevere through troubles of her heart while being homesick and becoming part of a new life and new family. Everyday I get to hear about her new adventures, about her new classes that she is loving, classes that I never took part in as a teenager, college that I never experienced at her age. Do you see, I got to look but I can not touch. I can encourage and love my children, both of my daughters to a life that I never got to take part in, encourage them toward a new life, that I have never got to experience. I have the opportunity to know, that eventually, each of them will meet the husband God has planned for them, know that eventually they will be mother's and somewhere in the midst of all of their life, I will get to be at the beginnings but I will not be at the endings.  I will get to see but not touch, I will get to be part of for a while but not forever. And so I wonder, who else in my life am I getting the opportunity to encourage, strengthen toward a Promise Land that, like Moses, I may get to get a glimpse of but never get to set foot in? And I wonder, maybe God wasn't saying no to Moses just because Moses was still in trouble. Maybe God was saying 'I have given you the opportunity to raise a generation that will be greater than you. A generation that will be greater than the seas, a generation that will be My loving people. I so love you that I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you don't need to touch what you are heading toward. But those you have raised, lead, taught, and loved, they will continue on the path that you have started. See...there is more to this than you know, more to this than you can understand. You are more to this generation than you, right now, could even imagine. Trust me."

You can look but you can't touch doesn't sound so bad anymore. It doesn't hold that power anymore that I don't get something I desperately want anymore. Instead, it holds a hope that I get the opportunity to be more than I think I am, an opportunity to encourage a generation to be more than they think they can be, an opportunity to do something I'm not so good a doing....encouraging those to go ahead, leading those toward a promise, filling up with the spirit, following the words of God, going to a place unknown, seeing without being able to touch, and trusting.
"Then command Joshua. Give him courage, Give him strength. Single-handed he will lead this people across the river. Single-handed he will cause them  to inherit the land at which you can only look."

0 comments: