BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, February 8, 2013

Well That Jumped Up and Bit Me In The….


There are sayings, phrases, looks, and words that my family always used. It didn’t seem what the situation was at the time; they were able to come up with something that wasn’t appropriate that seemed to fit the situation.  We were very poor and my mom worked several jobs just to keep us in a trailer park, I believe to this day her favorite rhetorical answer to us was “put want in one hand and s*&^ in the other and tell me which weighs more.” Inevitably this was used when we really thought we needed something from the store or in life that was a ‘want’ not a life preserving need. My Aunt Barb on the other hand always waited until just the right moment when something had gone terribly wrong, after she had given direct and loud advice against it, and she would state, with profound dignity “Well that jumped up and bit you in the …”(let’s say butt), her way of saying “I told you so.”  That happened this week something came right up and bit me in the butt. Jumped up out of nowhere and got me. What was it…contradiction is actually what it was, I was hoping over the past 4 days that somehow it would change to conviction…that hasn't happened (hence the title!).

I hate finding out in the midst of something that I strongly believe that I have been a hypocrite. Although I know deep down every one of us is in some way or another but it just bugs me when it happens. So what happened? In my small group on Monday nights we broke down to smaller groups to discuss the video, women whom I know and don’t know sat in a small circle to discuss the points and meaning of what we had just heard.  During that time, a very nice woman (forgive me but I forget her name) was making a point about protecting oneself, knowing your surroundings, and generally not trusting anyone. About 2 minutes into her point, she looked at me and said “like you (pointing at me) never trust a horse.” Without a thought, I said “no, I trust my horses completely I have to every time I get on them.” Her response “you never trust horses”. Now for those of you who know me, my head was in the midst of several questions that I wanted to ask this woman. Something had to have happened for her to make this statement (or maybe the Holy Spirit just put it in her mouth for me-something I am still kind of struggling with). But I would think over all  most of you would agree if you heard someone make a statement about – well anything – that sounded like this, your first assumption would be that there had to be an experience that caused that reaction.  Where’s the contradiction you ask? Here it is, not long ago, and probably every time I teach someone to handle and ride a horse, my first statement is always, don’t trust that horse completely, they are an animal, 800lbs of ‘get the heck out of my way something’s going to eat me’. I tell people to be aware of what’s going on when handling horses, especially on the ground, because they are horses and in a herd they will push each other around and you are just a speck standing in the way. And yet, at the moment she pointed me out and said ‘you never trust a horse’ my first instinct was to say ‘no I trust my horses completely.’ Well if that didn’t jump up and bite me in the butt!! (My aunt would love that right now, hearing that statement from me!)

So what is it in me that made that quick, unthought out, unhindered statement? Why would I teach and tell people one thing and without a moments consideration immediately say that I didn't believe it? It’s trust, unhidden, unbound, unquestioning trust of my horses. In the simplest terms that what it is; even in my cautions to people just learning about the wonderful animals of non-trust, in the end, I have to trust them. I trust that every time I put my foot in the stirrup, swing my leg up and over their back, and sit on them, they are going to allow me to do it. I’m trusting that they won’t kill me, which any of them could do easily, I’m trusting them to do as I ask and do it without conflict. I’m trusting them to about the measure of 800lbs. Why is this important? The small group I am in is called the Law of Love, at its core it’s about trusting what God has in store for me, loving Him completely to get me through it and to it, and not worrying about the caution to go.   Deut 6:5 “Love the Lord your God with your whole heart; love Him with all that’s in you; love Him with all you've got.” (MSG) There are different versions of this verse, I really like this one, but you may have heard it like this “love the Lord your God with all your heart, and all your mind, and all your soul” – I heard that first in the New Testament from Jesus, I didn't know at the time that it was said probably over 1000 different ways with the same result throughout the Old Testament.  The Israelites were told to write this on their hearts, write it on the hands, on their foreheads, on their door frames, on their gates, take it everywhere they went, when the sit, when they talk, everywhere! What in the world?! Write it on their foreheads!? On their door frames and gates?! That’s a little extreme; even for the Israelites don’t you agree? Or was it? As a child from the 70s, I remember learning in school meant memorization (that is not the case today), it meant if I had to learn it, I probably wrote it 10 times or 20 times, and if it was a punishment 100 times what I wasn't going to do anymore. (Do you see what’s happening here? I just got bit again… don’t laugh, you did too!)

Write it on your foreheads, your hands, your door frames and gates. Learn this with all your heart, mind, and soul so you take it everywhere you go. Isn't that what God was telling them? Wasn't he in essence teaching them how to trust Him without questioning Him? And how did He do it? He told them to write it everywhere that they love Him. Because let’s face facts, none of us, not one, trust someone we don’t love. I’d like to say that I love Him with all my heart, soul and mind but that would be a lie, because I don’t, not yet anyway (maybe I need to start writing!). I don’t think it’s a surprises to Him, I think some of you would probably say let me pray for you, and I would say thank you for your prayers but praying isn't going to get me to love anymore than a smack in the face. I have no idea what it will take to get to the point of completely and wholly trusting and loving God, I don’t believe that is a surprise to Him either. What I do know is that He knew the Israelites needed to be told where to put it, where to write it, and where to keep it, and maybe I need the same thing.

Contradiction is a big realization don’t you agree? Sometimes, probably more often then we would like, God gives us something without our knowledge and allows us to stand on that for a while and then He throws a wrench in the whole thing.  That’s exactly what happened to me, a wrench came flying at me in the form of a woman who is afraid of horses, and through her God threw a wrench at my head. Maybe I need a lesson with me on horses (I’m sure some on you are laughing right now) only this time I need to hear what I’m actually trying to say. What is that you ask? Don’t trust the situation, maybe the situation isn't perfect or trustworthy but He is; trust Him who put me in the situation, or allowed me to go into the situation. Because in the end the horse person in me sees it this way; when I’m getting ready to enter the situation, I am putting my foot in the stirrup; trusting that He is going to stand with me, swinging my leg over the saddle; and knowing that He is truly by my side, allowing me to sit with confidence astride their back. 

0 comments: