BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, January 3, 2011

A New Year..

Yes a New Year and why its in caps I have yet to figure out except that the english department at a college or university somewhere in the world decided that those words were to be used as 'proper nouns'. So much to the affect that at sometime in the past some author or artist drew the New Year Baby and Grandfather Time, my guess is to show a new start and the passing age of old times, simply put the past year. The affect has carried on for years now and this year I wonder if its even proper (by the way this is not an english class-just a tangent). Is a 'new year' a proper noun or just a collection of two words used as a phrase to describe something coming in the following sentence? My guess, and simply a guess, it is the latter. For example, 'New Years Resolution' (an I am aware that I did not put an apostrophe a proper english would prefer between the r and the s in years-that was on purpose); is 'New Years" the noun or "resolution"? Resolution is followed by the descriptive action that one decides to take in the coming year. That's why we say, 'my new years resolution is....' not 'my new year is.....' So then why do we capitalize New Year? What purpose does it have to capitalize it and make it stand out and not all year long? I believe it is to establish a new beginning for each of our lives, even tho truthfully very few of us set a new standard and stick to it, we put ourselves to the test of a new .... something.

I've personally never made a 'new years resolution', I am not one to try to make promises even tho I do and then fail at keeping them, I knew for me a 'resolution' was not the way to make me begin keeping a promise I knew I wouldn't keep. But, yesterday, and I'm not sure when, I came to a realization that I needed to attempt a promise to myself and this is it. I am, to all possibilities, going to attempt, not promise, to write here every day this year. The goal is not to write everyday but to have a devotional time with God everyday and write here what I believe God is trying to tell me through that devotional time. I'm not a prayer, its actually been a struggle to pray for me since April, but on some level I hope that this time writing will be my prayer time.

To Auld Lang Syne...which means in Scottish, to Old Long Ago, and the poem, yes poem, is not about forgetting but remembering those friends of the past and their friendships and life in our life. My new year's resolution... to take those times of the past, remember them forever and those in them, find a new promise in this year and heal those things which I am knowingly carrying forward with God's help. So there it is, 3 days late to start, and beginning badly, my resolution. What will yours be? And will it be reachable?

0 comments: