BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Beautiful Poetry

I love poetry, especially the old stuff that has a rythym to it and tells a story. I loved for years growing up "The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost. When I first read this poem in high school, I had no concept of what it meant except that a lonely traveler had happened upon a split in the road and after a debate of which to take he decided on the one less traveled. The poem holds more to it than that really, it was a life decision by a traveler who was making a life choice. Of course the poem doesn't let on to that especially because of the way it was written by Frost. The poem means much, much more today and I love it even more, it holds a sense of new life by taking the road less traveled now.
I don't know of anyone who calls the gospels poetry but I find poetry in the words of John. He wrote as though his heart was telling a story in a rythmic tune about Jesus Christ. "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." Not much of a rhyming tune but these words set the tone for the remainder of John's gospel. They are the prelude to a mixture of poetic words that flow from John in a way that draws the reader tightly into the poem. Just like Frost's poem, John doesn't give you all of the details in one lump sum. He tells you about this 'light' that is the light to save all men, he tells you about the how He made the world but the world did not know Him. From John 1: 1- John 1:19, a poem starts to tell of the works, coming, arrival, and message of Jesus, a prelude to the full gospel by John of his Lord Jesus Christ and when he put Him to words poetry erupted.
Many of us have heard or know of the story of Jesus's birth, why, when, where, who came, how the story started and ended. I had never heard anyone person speak of Jesus the way John does. His words drew me to a closer understanding of God and Jesus's relationship with God and how even though Jesus was God in the beginning, He was a man, and now He is the living God.
John may not be the poet that Robert Frost is, he may not be the ryhming, rhythmic, wordsmith. But like Frost, John had a choice to make, a choice between a split in the road to the left (a road much traveled) or to the right (one overgrown and slightly hidden). You and I have that choice. We can't see around the bend in the road, just like Frost's traveler, but as we stand at the split in the path we can make the decision which to take. I read Frost's poem much differently these days, I don't see the traveler trying to make a decision of which way to go on to his destination; rather, I see a life choice. I chose late in life to take the road less traveled, of course I had take the much traveled road many, many times, or maybe I hadn't reached the split in the paths yet. I like this new path, it's not predictible and I don't have to see what's around the bend.
Two roads to take, one life choice, which will it be for you.

0 comments: